Sunday, August 9, 2009

Venice

OK we had a great 5 hour train ride.  We were a bit weary waking up at 6 am  -  have not done that this entire trip!  We had about a 3 hour train to Milan and then got off and transferred to another train (had a little delay in the SMOKEY train station – EVERYONE in Italy smokes!) and then boarded for another 2 hour ride to Venice!  Again – we played cards – I blogged a bit – and then we all crashed!  You should see the way we are so protective of our ‘hair’ and the seats on the train!  The girls pulled out their scarves and wrapped them around to ‘protect’ themselves J  The trains for the most part are pretty clean and so much fun to travel!  Clark and I even got a few games of ‘Speed and Gin’ in…

Arrived in Venice – tired and sore from our day of hiking – and entered into the unfamiliar train station.  NOT KNOWING WHERE TO GO!  NO HOTEL – NOTHING!  We started at the window for tourists and hotel reservations and a man came up to Clark asking if he needed a place to stay – Clark simply asked if he ‘represented other hotels’ and they went back and forth not quite understanding each other.  Finally the man said to Clark – “You are not a nice man!”  and walked off.  I sat there stunned – because my opinion of Italians is that they are NOT NICE – especially to Americans – but we have put on our smiles and move on!  Anyway – we walk out of the train station NOT knowing where we will go and see a bridge ( I am thinking the kind of bridge that a car can go over – SMOOTH – but NO there are a million steps!)  We muster up the strength to get our bags up and over the bridge and start walking to where we think hotels will be???  Clueless!  Venice is tricky – there are not straight paths!  I was appalled when I walked past an alley (on the main canal) and saw a man standing there – pants unzipped (you will have to get the picture) I was SHOCKED and my girls were right there with me!  When I motioned to Clark – the man disappeared!  I was angry – and tired and wanted somewhere to put my bags!  I WAS NOT happy with Venice at that point!   We went around another corner and let Clark go and do some searching and about 10 minutes later came back with a great hotel!  I think it is the best yet!!!!  Our room tonight has two twin beds and a king – all the girls get to spend the night together and the boys have their room with consists of a king bed!  Only one problem – they are fully booked tomorrow night – which means we will be out searching again!  BUT – I am trusting a believing that we will be able to stay here!  It is quite pleasant.

We got settled in and got familiar with our surroundings!  We were all so tired that we came home and read and napped for about 2 hours – AHHHHH – that felt good!  We got refreshed and set out on the town to find a place to eat dinner and stumbled upon a wonderful restaurant – it was packed and tucked back up in one of the narrow streets!  Yummy food and we were happy!   I have taken a million pictures of the boats, the canals and the quaint buildings – I CANNOT wait to come home and PAINT J  This is a charming place – if you can stay away from the perverts!

Tomorrow is another day – I have found a laundry right around the corner!  I will be up bright and early washing about 5 more loads of laundry!  That will make me VERY happy J

No comments:

Post a Comment