Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Narrow Path


What an incredible day hiking the five towns of Cinque Terre!  This was the most incredible hike I have ever done – steep climbs up and over each mountain – each with breathtaking views of the towns and sea.  I am so glad that The Traveling Six tackled this adventure.  Apparently, this is some of the best coastline hiking in the world.  Walking between all the villages is next to impossible in less than a day for all but experienced hikers – and I will have to say – we DID it!  Our host at the hotel suggested that we take the train down to the first town – Riomaggiore – and hike the two easy trails to the next two towns – Manarola and Corniglia - and then take the train home.  We opted to start out on foot from Monterossa and hike to each town – he looked at my shoes (they are the BEST hiking/walking SANDALS!!) and said ‘Take the train”.  So glad we ignored his leading…we set off on foot around 11 am and arrived in the first town around 1…2 hours of rigorous uphill – steep climbing – and then rounded corners to dramatic ocean views!  My kids flew up the steep parts – Clark and I would have to stop and catch our breath!  It was tough but we made it to Vernazza just in time for some yummy lunch, a swim in the sea, and our usual scoop of Gelato to get us geared back up for trek number two!  On we went to each town – each with their own splendor and beauty!  The first two towns were the toughest to hike…the last few were simple and short! 

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13 - 20

I thought about this all day on our hike.  Our path was so narrow at times – 2 feet at the most with a sheer cliff right beside you.  It was rocky…it was rough…it was at times tough to climb…and the one thing that would sustain us and keep us going was our water and the beauty that surrounded us!  I thought about our faith walk…staying on the narrow path…God’s GRACE that He has for each one of us when it is rocky,  tough, or uncertain.  And each time I thought I could not make it, I would stop and drink water and then would round the corner to the most breathtaking view you have ever seen!  God has a perfect plan for each of our lives.  If we stay on His narrow path, we will look back and see His hand at work in our lives.  Just like I needed the water to keep me going…we need God’s Word – His Truth – HIS power – the power of the Holy Spirit – to fill us – to sustain us as we go through our journey.   

It was an INCREDIBLE day!  You should have seen my feet at the end of the day!  Blakely took a picture – not sure I will share!  Blessings to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment